What is Laser Hair Removal- How Does It Really Work?
As the warmer weather approaches, there is lots of buzz about a celebrity holy grail treatment that keeps you smooth, silky, and hairless ALL year long- yes, ALL YEAR LONG!
Laser Hair Removal has gained tremendous popularity as people strive for a solution to coarse, stubborn hair, prominent skin irritations, and unwanted ingrown. Much different than traditional hair removal methods (waxing, shaving, hair removal creams) laser hair removal is a LIFETIME solution, meaning your hair growth will be put to an end!
What Does The Laser Do?
During laser hair removal, a laser emits light energy. This is targeted toward the pigment (melanin) in the hair. This energy damages the root of hair follicles that produce hairs, meaning there is reduced or delayed ability for future hair growth to flourish.
Although this treatment is an effective method at delaying hair growth for long periods, multiple sessions of treatments are needed for optimal removal, especially for thicker/coarser hair types. Initial hair removal and maintenance treatments might be needed as well. Laser hair removal is most effective for people with darker hair, as blonde/grey/red hair tones will not be absorbed by the laser beam, thus the hair follicle will not be destroyed.
Starlight Med Spa offers Lutronic Clarity laser hair reduction, a superior dual-wavelength platform that combines two proven technologies, 755 nm Alexandrite and long-pulsed 1064 nm Nd:YAG. This laser type has been the gold standard in leading medical spas for over a decade and is able to treat all pigmented hair regardless of hair density or skin colour.
How To Prepare For Best Results:
· Stay out of the sun AND avoid self-tanner. Whenever you go out, apply a broad-spectrum, SPF. Avoid excessive sun exposure which may lead to burns or heat rash. Being tanned, authentically, or with a fake tan will inhibit optimal hair removal results!
· Avoid other hair removal methods. Plucking, waxing, and electrolysis need to be avoided at least 6 weeks before treatment, as well as in between sessions.
· Avoid antibiotics & retinol medications for 2 weeks prior: These will make you photosensitive, and may result in skin irritations including a surface burn to your skin
· Shave treatment area PROPERLY and frequently, as well as the night before your session. This removes hair while leaving the hair follicle intact below the surface. Shaving frequently will ensure that at hair is in the proper growth stage for your sessions. Other hair removal methods including waxing remove the root of the hair, meaning the laser will target the hair above the surface (essentially, a wasted session!) Shaving with a fresh razor and gliding gently over treatment areas ensures a clean shave. Grab your favourite shaving cream to help glide your razor seamlessly. Remember, there NEEDS to be a hair root for the laser to target.
· Be consistent with your appointments: Consistency is the key to any treatment. Spacing laser hair removal every 5 weeks ensures there is optimal time for the hair follicle to undergo its entire growth cycle while ensuring you see the most effective results. Delaying treatments and being inconsistent will not give you the amazing, smooth results you crave!
What To Expect:
Hairs do not fall out instantly but will begin to shed over the next following weeks. Do not be alarmed! This is NOT new growth! You may experience slight redness or itchiness in the treated areas, referred to as follicular edema. It is a temporary reaction and is very common- this is a great sign that your treatments are successful!
Let’s get our bodies prepped for summer- everyone deserves to feel confident and beautiful in their skin!